CLICK HERE FOR BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND MYSPACE LAYOUTS »

Tuesday, September 23, 2008

Poems

I've been writing a few poems lately.





This one I wrote one day while I was in my room... I don't know how I came up with the Idea, but I like it. After I made it I decided to make it a letter from the monster to the kid who sleeps on the bed he lives under, then I decided to address it to Julia:



Monster


Dear Julia,
I am the monster under your bed,
I jump out and scare you and fill you with dread,
I flee as soon as you scream for your mom,
Your mother may search, but I know one thing,
I’m a very good hider and she’s not very keen.

Love,
Gus




This one was inspired by this picture I drew of a hippo in a top hat and I imagined him tap dancing:









Can a Hippo Tap Dance?

Can a hippo tap dance?
Would he if he could?
Should he if he would?

The hippo said, “I can, too.
“I will and I can,
I should and I am.”

Will he fit the shoes?
Will the shoes fit him?

“I don’t need those shoes,
I have my own,
I don’t need a loan.”

The hippo tapped,
His shoes were new,
And the news were his shoes.

Everyone loved the hippo who tapped,
And no one could tap as the hippo had tapped.



This one I just made yesterday in like 10 minutes. I was just sitting there writing random things, the I came up with the first stanza and the rest just kind of seemed to fit, my pencil just kept writing lines to the poem... so I let my pencil write:




Realm of the Dragon


I have a tale to tell,
So hold your tongue and listen well.
I’ve been to a place,
Far away,
And what I saw you’ll not believe.

In a forest, leaves still green,
While the ground was white with snow,
Where briars, thorns, and thistles grow,
Eerie gray, was the sky,
The early morning sun, east rise,

There I saw a silhouette,
Of a dragon far out west,
He stared at me,
“Leave!” said he, “Tell no one of what you see!
A curse upon you,
If you do!
This better be,
The last we meat,
Or else I’ll have you as a treat.”


But alas,
I cannot be,
As silent as he wants me.
And now I’m doomed,
Cursed to be,
A lonely dragon such as he.




8 comments:

Elizabeth said...

Quincy these are FANTASTIC!!! I Especially LOOOVE the one about the dragon. and I like how you addressed the monster one to Julia. Very Creative. Keep the writing wheels churning! XOXO

Grammie/Mom said...

I'm very impressed with your poems Quincy. They are very good!! I really liked the monster letter!! How did Julia like it?

Quincy said...

Thanks.
Julia said she liked the monster poem. It doesn't even scare her. That was a bit of a let down for me, but whatever.

Leslie said...

very nice Quincy...you are quite a wordsmith.

Dan said...

I've seen your bed, Quincy
It's really quite lofty
There's room for a monster
who's a big furry softy
To move from your sister's room
and take refuge in yours
So just in case...for protection
You should bake your Dad S'mores

Quincy said...

Good one dad,
But I know,
No monster would ever go,
Under my bed,
Or in my room,
Else I'll wack them with my broom.

Grammie/Mom said...

Wow Quincy!! I see you get your poetic gene from your Dad. He's quite clever too!

Elizabeth said...

wow quincy. i love them all. i especially like the dragon one. and the hippo one too! tell everyone hi for me. see i check yu blog every once in a whille. i'll try to do more.